Organic Cotton FAQs
What is Organic Cotton?
Our Organic Cotton underwear is made from 95% organic cotton blended standard that is industry-approved for OCS Blended.
What is the difference between Regular and Organic cotton?
For regular cotton, farmers use genetically modified seeds, which make the cotton more resistant to bugs. Nevertheless, farmers also use pesticides and insecticides to exclude all kings of bugs, even when this is bad for the health of workers, the biodiversity and the quality of the soil. Farmers try to make regular cotton grow faster by using fertilizer on the same soil for a longer period, which causes heavy irrigation in the long-term. When the soil is unhealthy, crops require more water which results in more water wastage. After regular cotton is fully grown, farmers use chemicals in the form of herbicides that kill weeds before harvesting. Harvesting is done by heavy machines which cause CO2 emissions. The processing of regular cotton uses a large number of chemicals such as heavy metals and chlorine which cannot be removed by washing.
Organic cotton grows from natural seeds, which makes the cotton more pure and natural than regular cotton. Instead of using harmful chemicals, organic cotton farmers use harmless insects to reduce the number of bugs. This is not only good for local biodiversity and soil health, but also for the health of the workers. Farmers who grow organic cotton do not need fertilizer, because they keep their soil healthy and fertile through altering cultivation, which results in healthier crops and less water usage. The weeds that regular cotton farmers will remove by herbicides are being hand-removed by organic cotton farmers. This creates more jobs for the local communities and supports the local economy. Harvesting is also done by hand, so the cotton crop is not damaged by machines which results in a high-quality yarn. Because of its purity organic cotton is a stronger and better fiber than regular cotton.
Why is Organic better for the environment?
The regular cotton production uses about 16% of the world's insecticides and 7% of pesticides. Organic cotton does not need any toxic chemicals and is uses 80% of its water from natural rainfall, which reduces the pressure on local water sources. Organic cotton uses 88% less water, 62% less energy and 50% less CO2 than regular cotton, which is good for the environment. Organic cotton is hypoallergenic, sustainable, and eco-friendly compared to regular cotton. The protection of the local ecosystem, reducing wastage of water and ensuring a safer working environment for farmers and manufacturers are all benefits of organic cotton.
You say it's 95% Organic Cotton. What about the other 5%?
The other 5% is made from recycled polyester spandex to give the garment an extra bit of stretch. Additionally, the attached branding tags are made from an FSC certified recycled cotton paper tag and the packaging that the underwear arrives in is made from GRS recycled polybag.
For additional information about the manufacturing facility we use to produce our XD organic range, visit them here
For more information on Organic Content Standards, visit here